Special Session with Professor David Moss

Prof. David Moss introducing his lecture on the US political system and its impact on the economy

David Moss

According to his official bio, Prof. David A. Moss is the John G. McLean Professor at Harvard Business School, where he teaches in the Business, Government, and the International Economy unit. Professor Moss's research focuses on economic policy and especially the government's role as a risk manager and has published three books on this subject.

My favorite is "A Concise Guide To Macroeconomics". It's an easy to read book that strips macroeconomics to its core concepts and is used as an anchor to discuss more complicated issues as the book progresses. Professor Moss is able to translate difficult economic theories using simple English. It has none of the jargon that usually accompanies reference materials on economics and if he did mention a "heavy word", he would take the time to explain it.


The US Political System and the Nation's Economy

I must admit that I was slightly disappointed with his lecture. It was much too America-centric and I was grasping at straws trying to figure out what it meant to me as a business executive, as a Filipino and as a member of the global community. But before I go there, here are the core points of Prof. Moss' presentation.
  1. The increased partisan and ideological polarization in the US congress, which used to happen only during election times, has become a 24-hour spectator sport.
  2. Unfortunately, this has resulted in legislation that is too heavy on ideology and is bereft of compromise, which has historically produced the best pieces of legislation (e.g., health care, fee public education, etc.)
  3. In order to restore and revitalize America's "culture of democracy" the academic community, business and the political establishment need to come together and put America first


My ever-dependable study table
It all sounds good but as I said, what do I do with this information. So in the quiet confines of my room, I decided to deconstruct what he said and tried to apply it to a context that is more relevant to me.

Here is what I came up with:
  1. The Philippines has traditionally been torn apart by the politics of personality. Thinking about this, I cannot help but ask whether our politics is anchored on any solid ideology and if it somehow is, does our political system allow for continuity of vision?
  2. The good news is that our political system and business leaders are working together. The bad news is that I am not sure whose interest they are pursuing or if the Filipino is even part of the equation.
  3. Our education system, being chronically underfunded and for the most part, the bastion of the rich, has seen better days. Our good educators have gone and sought greener pastures outside of the educational system. (As I shared before, I teach in one of the best universities in Manila and I can attest that our teachers' salaries are not exactly on top of the income pyramid.)

I'm not too sure if I am too pessimistic or if I am giving our country a fair shake. But for the sake of our children and our children's children, I do pray and hope that I am wrong or at the very least, that someday I will be proven wrong.

Got to go back to my studies. Here is what my spartan room looks like.

My thinking chair
Hallway leading up to my room


The bed - my favorite place


My room

My Living Group's Den

My Living Group's Living Room

My Living Group's Conference Area for our case discussions

Our Living Group's fully stocked pantry