Day -2: Jet Lag, Hunger Pangs and Sleep Deprivation

Nagoya - Japanese efficiency

The lay-over at Nagoya was uneventful - typical Japanese efficiency in action.

Detroit - Immigration Snafu

The tarmac at Detroit Wayne International Airport
The flight to Detroit was a fair bit more challenging, not only was it the longest at over 11 hours but you can clearly feel how the surging cost of oil and price wars have made airliners more cost conscious. But I do have to give the flight crew of Delta high marks for effort. They were very courteous and professional.

Finally, after about 20 hours of flying we arrived at Detroit Wayne International and what I thought was a largely uneventful flight was made a bit more interesting courtesy of the immigration officer.

Apparently, they had not heard of Harvard's Advanced Management Program and were insisting that I should have come using an F visa. So I promptly showed them Harvard's letter saying that as per its representations with the State Department, participants to the program only need a B1/B2 visa. The young immigration officer was unsure so he passed me on to his supervisor who brought me to the immigration "bull pen". There I spoke with a more senior immigration officer who read my acceptance letter, the Harvard Visa Letter and the invoice. After a few questions, he stamped my passport. He also marked my customs form so I essentially breezed through customs. Don't get me wrong, the immigration officers were SUPER. They were polite and accommodating and they were just doing their jobs. I suppose not too many AMP participant enter the US through Detroit, hence their unfamiliarity with it.

Oh and when you're at the airport and have enough time, don't take the tram but walk through the tunnel connecting concourse C to A&B. They have this light and sound show that, while a bit dated, is still fun to see. I've seen it once before and it still makes me feel like a child.

Finally I arrived at the gate of my last leg to Boston. Apparently, the flight was oversold so the lady at the counter was offering USD600 for each person who would like to be re-booked and take the next day's flight. I promptly approached the counter to make sure that I was on this flight. No amount of money would make me re-book as I was much too tired and sleepy - well maybe if they offered to fly me in a private jet and booked me at the poshest hotel in downtown Detroit with a stretch limo to boot, maybe I would consider. But dream on...

Harvard

After about 23 hours of travelling, I finally arrived.

The campus was just amazing. All the pictures that I saw on the web did not do it justice. It was filled with history and the architecture was Victorian. It was just lovely. I was too tired to take pictures but as I go around the campus in the days ahead, I'll snap some pictures and post it.

I'm staying at The Inn at Harvard. It's run by Harvard University and is used to accommodate visitors temporarily. I'll be staying here until Monday morning where I will then move to McArthur Hall, where AMP participants will be staying for the entire duration of the program.


The Inn is such a lovely place. It has a big courtyard that doubles as a fine-dinig restaurant. It reminded me of my dream house - a courtyard to welcome guests and bordered by the different sections of the house. Anyways, it was now 6pm and I was just starving. So I ordered a clam & salmon chowder and chicken breast for my entree. Tommy, the Italian waiter, threw in two cookies for dessert, compliments of the house.

At last, it was now time to sleep. With a total of only 5 hours of sleep over the last two days, finding sleep in a new place was not that difficult. But before I sign off, here are some photos of my room at The Inn. Good night!

The view from my room

Another view from my room

The bed -- my best friend