Day 1: Small Victories

AMP 182 Opening Session in Aldrich 112

Opening Session

We had our first plenary session today, all 169 of us were at the Aldrich Hall, eagerly awaiting HBS Associate Dean and AMP Chair Das Narayandas' opening remarks. He took us through the usual audio-video clips of previous AMP participants' testimonials, the calendar and work-load for the entire duration of the program and gave us insights on how to make full use of the sessions. 

What struck me most were the following insights:
  1. Establish your goals early on and be as clear and vivid, in this way you will be able to isolate and digest the firehose of information and learnings that will be coming your way
  2. Reflect on these learnings everyday and ask yourself how you can apply this in your organization
  3. Prepare - participate - give. The case study method, which Harvard pioneered, requires that you share your thoughts in order to learn because in doing so you are actively in the moment and are able to capture the diverse thoughts and collective experience of the group
  4. The subject matter that will be covered in the entire duration of the course is so immense, I actually once described it as an MBA on steroids

Case Study

Today we had our first ever case study (we were to have two more in the afternoon). I think our professors are slowly trying to get us used to the case discussion method, hence the content and pace of the discussions are still relatively easy. I must admit though that I was a bit nervous at first because (a) I was in a room full of really smart and successful senior executives; (b) this is Harvard; and (c) I have not done a case study since college, and those case studies are nowhere near as thick as what we tackled this morning and in the afternoon.

But what I am particularly eager and proud to share with you is that I chose to participate actively in the discussions and I brought up a couple of points that were readily accepted by our professor, one of which was a particularly unique insight. I know it's nothing special but it's about taking one steady step at a time.

My Living Group team mates
 Because of the case studies, our Living Group worked together for the first time. As I mentioned before it's such a diverse group and I honestly think that I am particularly fortunate to be working with these individuals.

Lastly, I just can't believe that we have already tackled 3 different cases today. I am getting the hang of it and frankly enjoying it. On Day 1 alone, I have so many take aways that I think are so relevant to my company's current business objectives. I am sure there will be more as the days go by.

Got to work on my cases again -- I have 2 particularly thick ones to read tonight! Until tomorrow...ciao!