Day -1: Exploring the New World

Explore and Conquer

Today, I decided to explore this strange new world called Harvard. Frankly, the mental image that I have was UP Diliman, minus the frat wars, random roadside stabbings and the ubiquitous UP Ikot - no offense meant to UP of course.

From my wanderings, 3 things became very obvious:

1. It's a very safe and clean place

The Harvard Police in action
One of the things that caught my attention was this swanky police patrol car and the physically intimidating policemen with the Harvard Police insignia emblazoned on their left sleeve. Honestly, I was a bit envious and I quietly asked, when will UP have one of these - (a) peace and order, (b) swanky patrol cars, and (c) cleanliness. The answer - it will take awhile given UP's penchant for debating everything to death and the community's avowed duty to defend it's "freedom" at all costs. UP is a great place of course, I just wish that it would be realistic and get off its high horse once in awhile. (Enough of UP, I just can't help myself since I teach part-time.)

 2. Everything you need is here

Because my mental map was UP Diliman, I figured I needed to bring everything I could possibly need (e.g., soaps, cotton, medicines, etc.) for fear that I would have to travel to their equivalent of North EDSA just to get my basic needs. As a consequence, about a full quarter of my baggage limit was used up - at least I helped the Philippine economy.


Starbucks - I've discovered gold!
Well, it turns out 5 minutes away from my hotel is a street that has virtually every convenience known to man.

One end are all the restos and bars. On the other are office supplies and CVS (a convenience store that has become my best friend). There are also clothing and sports shops everywhere. And of course Harvard will not be Harvard without the bookstores.

Just to digress a bit, I went to the gym early this afternoon. I thoroughly enjoyed my work out and something about working out activates your metabolism and your body's ability to generate heat. I swear after my gym session I didn't feel cold anymore and curiously I was sweating. My gym trainer was right all along.

Harvard Book Store, established in the early 1900's
Anyways, as a result, I had to retire my 5-year old pair of Nike Free's ver 7.0. I knew I should have bought a new pair in Manila but being the thrifty me, I figured that I could defer the purchase until I return home. I downgraded to a Nike Free ver 3.0, (not everything is available after all). It was a blessing that my old one gave way today, it would have been thoroughly embarrassing if it flopped open while doing our daily exercises during school.

3. It's a beautiful place filled with youth and vitality

At the risk of sounding poetic, and everyone knows I'm not one, the spirit of the place fills you. I can't explain it but it's one of dynamism, academic curiosity, youth, hope and order. Normally, you cannot use youth, hope and order in one sentence, but in this case it works. I haven't figured it out yet but once I do, I'll share it.

One of the things I quite enjoyed was the way Harvard melded the old with the new and the greens. I thought the picture on the left captured it very well. I suppose this is probably one of their secrets - respect for the old and tradition mixed with a dogged determination to infuse the modern, hence broadening society's knowledge base. In Manila, it tends to be an either or proposition. We tear down old architecture and build a modern concrete structure. I am suddenly reminded of a doctor colleague from St. Luke's who would buy old traditional houses from OFWs in his province and transport it to his beach resort. The OFWs would gladly sell at near junk rates because they preferred erecting a concrete structure in its place. But in the process of this "renewal" we forget the meaning of the past and consequently forget its lessons, social symbolism and its true meaning and value. Anyways, enough of my musings.


Palm Sunday Mass

Being a true blooded Filipino, one of my main concerns was not being able to hear mass for the entire duration of my course. I reasoned that Harvard does not have any Catholic roots so I figured there will be a church somewhere but it won't be Catholic. It so bothered me a lot that I asked Jeannie to hear mass for both of us.  But then the big man up there had other plans.


As I was exploring the vicinity, I accidentally bumped into St. Paul's Church. Filled with an awesome sense of relief I immediately went in to pay respects and to my utter astonishment there was an off-schedule Palm Sunday mass happening. How lucky can I get? It was a very solemn service and I honestly felt that it was His way of welcoming me into this new place and as always providing a gentle assurance that He is always in control and in command.

I ended my day with this thought and I even brought a cross made of a palm leaf back to my hotel room. It will occupy a special place in my dormitory. And of course, I had, what has now become my favorite dish - crab and salmon chowder with salads on the side - for supper.

Back to studying.